Beginning Wednesday, December 26 and continuing through Monday, December 31, 2012, selected NJ TRANSIT bus routes will offer additional service to and from New York in addition to trips shown on the printed timetables. Customers are encouraged to consult the holiday service guide on the public timetable or visit www.njtransit.com to plan their trip. Holiday Schedules for 12/28 & 12/31 are available only at www.njtransit.com.
Weekdays, December 26-31 – Extra Bus Service on Selected Routes
- The following bus routes will operate extra bus service to/from New York:
Bus Route Nos. 111, 129, 158, 163, 164, 166, 167, 177, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 197, 320 & 324
- Inbound extra service between 9 a.m. and early afternoon.
- Outbound for above routes from New York will operate extra service from mid-afternoon to late evening.
- Customers should follow the regular Weekday schedule.
- Extra service will operate 3-5 minutes ahead of regular scheduled trips. Customers should arrive at their bus stop/terminal/park&ride at least 10 minutes earlier then the departure time shown in the public timetable.
Friday, December 28 (Early Afternoon from New York):
- Selected Port Authority Bus Terminal & Jersey City Waterfront (routes 64 & 68 only) will offer early getaway service between 1 p.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Saturday, December 29 & Sunday, December 30:
- Most Port Authority Bus Terminal/George Washington and Local bus routes in Northern NJ will operate on a weekend schedule.
Monday, December 31 (New Year's Eve):
- On Monday, December 31, most Port Authority Bus Terminal/George Washington Bridge/Jersey City Waterfront (routes 64 & 68 only) bus routes will operate on a special holiday schedule or regular weekday schedule. Due to reduced ridership, selected bus routes will offer fewer trips during the traditional AM and PM peak periods on this day.
- Early getaway service will be provided from Port Authority Bus Terminal (selected routes) & Jersey City Waterfront (routes 64 & 68 only) between noon and 4 p.m.
- Local bus service will operate on a weekday schedule.
- Inbound to New York - Early Evening (3:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m.) – For customers traveling to New York for the festivities, extra service will be operated on routes 126, 129, 139, 156, 158, 159 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 190, 191, 192, 197 & 320 routes that includes additional bus service provided from the following Park & Rides: Allwood, Clifton Commons, Howell, Manalapan (Gordon’s Corner), Marlboro (Union Hill), Midland Park, North Bergen, Old Bridge and Ringwood.
Travel Tips and Reminders
Check njtransit.com before starting your trip for service advisories or alerts that may affect your trip.
- Please allow extra travel time during the holiday period due to traffic conditions. Heavy travel times are between are between 9 a.m. and noon (inbound) and between 4 p.m. and 8 p.m. (outbound).
- Travel during off-peak hours: inbound before 9 a.m. or after noon; outbound before 4 p.m.
- On full-service bus routes, remember that no bills over $20 are accepted. Exact change is always appreciated.
- Purchase round trip tickets in advance to speed your trip.
- Customers departing Port Authority Bus Terminal are reminded that tickets/passes are required before boarding the bus.
- Allow extra travel time for heavier than normal passenger demand and traffic congestion in to and out of New York City.
For additional information, please consult our Bus Rider Guide (pdf) or call NJ TRANSIT Customer Service at (973) 275-5555.